EMT Basic Full Time and PRN Positions
St. Vincent Hospital in Leadville, Colorado is seeking multiple Full Time and PRN EMT - Basic's to work with Ambulance Services in a Hospital Tech roll. which provides pre-hospital care as well as hospital care and ambulance transportation of persons who are ill or injured as authorized and directed by a physician. The position will have a high degree of autonomy and require ingenuity in the creation of further detailed duties. Additionally, this position is responsible for providing appropriate care to emergency room patients in conjunction with the Emergency Department staff as well as in-patient staff. This care is in accordance with the accepted standards and protocols limited by training and experience and under the direction of physicians working within the facility from time to time.
MINIMUM education requirements
- Minimum High School Graduate or GED equivalent.
- Colorado Basic EMT certification or eligible through National Registry.
Minimum work experience requirements
- 6 months to 1 year preferred experience.
- Valid Colorado drivers’ license with good driving record.
- National registry certification.
- American Heart Association BLS certification.
- IV Certification to be obtained as soon as possible, within 2 months of hire or per EMS Director.
- State certification.
Position duties (essential functions)
- Works under the direction of the hospital providers and/or ALS partner.
- Assess nature and extent of illness or injury and prioritize medical procedures to be followed. Renders basic life support procedures to patients in a variety of settings consistent with state and local operating protocols.
- Administers initial treatment at emergency scenes and takes and records patient’s vital signs.
- Assists in extricating trapped victims.
- Drives the ambulance and/or transports sick and injured patients to and from scenes and treatment centers in a manner appropriate to dispatch direction and to patient condition, at all times considering due regard for the safety of self and others.
- Observes, records and reports patient’s condition and reaction to drugs, treatments, and significant incidents.
- Restore and stabilize heart rhythm on patients without a pulse, non-breathing patients, using an Automated External Defibrillator.
- Initiates intravenous fluids to administer medications or to replace fluids if IV certified.
- Opens airways and ventilates patients.
- Performs drug calculations and administers injections of medications under physician advisor ship.
- Maintains ambulances, garage and equipment in a condition of cleanliness and readiness.
- Provides assistance to the Emergency Department staff regarding clinical care and administrative activities as assigned under the direction of ED RN and attending physician.
- Provides assistance to the Med/Surg Department staff regarding clinical care and administrative activities when available as assigned.
- Communicates verbally and in writing with patients, physicians, other personnel and the general public. Communication may occur via radio, telephone, cell phone, and/or computer terminal.
- Documents/completes all charting prior to end of shift; including appropriate charges per Department Policy as may be established from time to time.
- Participates in CQI and Department Meetings. Demonstrates a commitment to continuous quality improvement (CQI) as evidenced by actively participating in ongoing education and projects with daily practice and use of CQI techniques and philosophies.
- Participates in community educational events as may be scheduled by the SVGH Ambulance Service Manager.
- Promotes St. Vincent Hospital’s mission and follows hospital policy and procedures as they relate to the duties and responsibilities of the position. Demonstrates a positive, supportive attitude for safety, patient care and Ambulance Services quality.
- Promotes own professional growth and demonstrates professional conduct in regards to Ambulance Services operation.
- Remains current with industry changes and information.
- Attends seminars in order to remain current with industry changes.
- Applies information learned during informative learning sessions and effectively teaches other pertinent information.
- Maintains all required certifications.
- Maintains confidentiality in all health information matters.
- Promotes good relationships with other hospital departments in order to achieve optimal working conditions. Demonstrates flexibility and willingly accepts responsibility, notifying supervisor when additional work can be assumed.
- Receives, evaluates and discusses suggestions and constructive criticism in a professional manner.
- Other duties as assigned by EMS Director or with the approval of Ambulance Services Supervisor.
To apply for this position please submit: Letter of Interest, Resume/Application, at least 3 current professional references, and copies of required certifications. Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Achieve your personal and professional best in the rugged alpine setting and soaring mountain peaks of Leadville and Lake County, Colorado. This is where world–class athletes train and compete, vacationers seek adventure and families make lasting memories.
Combine small-town mountain life, bountiful outdoor recreation and western history, with the convenience that proximity to larger towns offers and you have a glimpse of daily life in Lake County, Colorado.
Located only 1 hour and 45 minutes from Denver, and a short distance south of Interstate-70 on Hwy. 91 (from Copper Mountain) or Hwy. 24 (from Vail), Leadville is within an easy drive of many of Colorado’s ski resorts.
St. Vincent Hospital, a critical access Hospital, is managed by Centura Health, the region’s leading health network. This rural hospital boasts competitive pay and benefits. A highly trained medical staff delivering medical services in the following areas: 24/7 Emergency Department and Ambulance, Acute Care, Primary Care Clinic, Laboratory, Radiology, Physical Therapy and visiting specialist clinics.
Learn more about St. Vincent Hospital at www.leadvillehospital.org.
Job Status: Full Time, Part Time, On Call