Full Time and PRN MLT/MT
St. Vincent Hospital, located in Leadville, Colorado, is seeking Full Time and PRN MLT or MT's, to join our Laboratory team. St. Vincent Hospital is a Critical Care Facility serving Lake County and surrounding areas. For more information on the hospital, please visit our website at www.svghd.org .
General Summary of Position:
Must follows laboratory policies and procedures to perform complex analyses using specific techniques, methods, and instrumentation.
Must have knowledge of, and demonstrate appropriate judgment skills when performing procedures
Must be able to recognize factors which directly affect procedures and results.
Must monitor Quality Control programs, Proficiency Testing procedures, and Quality Assurance programs for the verification of quality, accurate, and timely clinical laboratory testing and reporting.
Must have a positive attitude and foster a positive work environment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND WORK ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must be well versed in all areas of the clinical laboratory.
- Must perform Phlebotomy, prepare specimens for analysis, and follow instructions in procedure manuals.
- Notifies proper authority when patient results are critical or life threatening.
- Must exercise sound independent judgment in directing the performance of phlebotomy, with accountability if such procedures are not performed correctly.
- Records statistics, maintains files, posts results, documents QC results, verifies and calls abnormal results.
- Notes corrective actions taken when QC or patient results are out of range.
- Understands and performs inventory control, Quality Control, Quality Assurance, and follows standard operating procedures.
- Trained to perform preventive maintenance and trouble shoot laboratory instrumentation.
- Must communicate any unresolved issues and situations to the Lab Director.
- Must be familiar enough with all laboratory disciplines to be able to temporarily assume the duties of Lead Technologist of any laboratory section.
- Observes standard precautions in drawing and handling laboratory specimens.
- Understands fire safety and other Environment of Care Policies and Procedures to respond to drills and emergencies effectively.
- Approaches patients in a friendly, courteous manner.
- Explains or answers patient questions concerning laboratory tests or procedures.
- Uses AIDET to help make patients less apprehensive.
- Demonstrates an ability to assess problems, consider alternatives, and choose an appropriate course of action.
- Uses ethical judgment and legal guidelines in the function of the laboratory.
- Respects and works well with others, inspires cooperation, and must be willing to perform extra duty when there are staffing challenges.
- Assists others without having to be asked, and coordinates work to achieve maximum productivity and efficiency.
- Makes every effort to report to work on time and utilize benefits in appropriate manner.
- Must give timely and proper notification in advance for absences.
- Must demonstrate and maintain a professional demeanor at all times, and follow St. Vincent General Hospitals standards of behavior.
- "On Call" required.
- Standing and walking, approximately 70 % of the time; Sitting, bending and stooping 20 % of the time.
- Occasional exertion and lifting in handling supplies.
- Some physical effort holding or lifting a patient.
- Physical dexterity, vision, and hearing acuity are constantly required.
- Depending on workload or schedule, long and irregular hours may be necessary.
- Exposure to blood and body fluids.
- Failure to follow Standard Operating Procedures could result in needle sticks, falls on slippery floors, injuries from lifting, injuries from instruments.
Minimum requirements for the job:
- Medical Technologist/Medical Laboratory Technician certification from a national recognized agency
- Associates or Baccalaureate degree in a science (Chemistry, Biology, Physics) or Medical Laboratory Technology
- Two years of experience preferred
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status.
Job Status: Full Time, Part Time