Laboratory Director - Hospital Setting - Leadville, CO
This position is located at St. Vincent Hospital in Leadville, Colorado.
General Description -
This job description does not intend to list every function of the position. This position is responsible for the overall operation and administration of the clinical laboratory including the employment of competent, qualified personnel. Participates in training and maintains continuing education units (CEUs) as required by regulatory standards. Can perform as the Technical Supervisor for specialties other than Immunohematology under CFR 42 §493.1447 or as a General Supervisor under CFR 42 §493.1447.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities -
- Reviews Quality Control (QC) data, calibration data, maintenance logs, and temperature logs on a regular basis.
- Ensures adherence to the Quality Assurance (QA) plan by all personnel. Develops QA Plan for approval by the Medical Director and the Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
- Reviews personnel Competency Assessments. Ensures that a schedule for CA is distributed for all Laboratory Services personnel as well as ensuring that CA is being performed in accordance with the CA SOP for all members performing Point-of-Care-Testing.
- Monitors and reviews Proficiency Testing (PT) data in a timely manner. Reports any testing suspensions to the Chief Medical Officer (CMO)
- Ensures all Proficiency Testing (PT) discrepancies/unsatisfactory performances insufficiencies are rectified with careful, documented Corrective Action(s) and the proper documentation filed. Strictly adheres to the St. Vincent General Hospital District Standard Operating Procedures/Forms relative to PT.
- Oversees the hiring of qualified personnel.
- Ensures performance of Laboratory testing modalities and Lab Interface System (LIS). Work with vendors to ensure service agreements are current and adhered to by vendor. Work with IT Department to ensure LIS and Electronic Medical Record (EMR) interface issues are resolved.
- Responsible for developing communication processes for resulting, reporting, and building relationships with other departments, and outside vendors via written, phone, and in-person meetings.
- Maintain Point of Care testing program in multiple departments within the organization.
- Ability and understanding of processes to fill in on bench when Lab personnel call out or need additional assistance.
- Maintain regulatory compliance with all pertinent regulatory authority bodies.
- Reviews current Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for accuracy. Revise or write SOPs as necessary. In the absence of a Medical Director, he/she will perform the required SOP reviews in accordance with regulatory agency standards/policies.
- Maintains and submits all documentation as required by regulatory agencies and responds to all deficiencies and requests by said agencies.
- Is available during the potential inspection windows requested by regulatory agencies.
- Assistants in the training and Competency Assessment (CA) of new laboratory personnel, any medical technology students, and orientation of employees from other departments. If the Director is assigned as the Technical Consultant, he/she approves all CA and ensures that deficiencies in CA are rectified in a timely manner and those members who do not comply with the CA requirements will be suspended from performing any waived/non-waived testing. The Director will notify the CEO of any staff whose CA lapses and that have had their testing privileges suspended.
- Assumes responsibility for personal professional growth and development by maintaining required CEUs to fulfill re-certification requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintains HIPAA standards in all matters.
- Receives, evaluates and discusses suggestions and constructive criticism in a professional manner.
On-going by the Director, Clinical or Ancillary Services (as applicable) or the COO.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Medical Terminology
- LIS Terminology
- Scientific/Laboratory Mathematics
- Problem Solving
- Scientific Theory
Required Certificates, License, Registrations (must meet one of the following):
- MT/MLS(ASCP), AMT, or HEW
- Prior to 02/28/1992 qualified as Director under state law or Medicare laboratory regulations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Work environment consistent with hospital laboratories.
- Employee will encounter blood, urine, and other potentially infectious bodily fluids.
- Employee will interact with other departments and outside vendors in person and via telephone.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status.
Achieve your personal and professional best in the rugged alpine setting and soaring mountain peaks of Leadville and Lake County, Colorado. This is where world–class athletes train and compete, vacationers seek adventure and families make lasting memories.
Combine small-town mountain life, bountiful outdoor recreation and western history, with the convenience that proximity to larger towns offers, and you have a glimpse of daily life in Lake County, Colorado.
Located only 1 hour and 45 minutes from Denver, and a short distance south of Interstate-70 on Hwy. 91 (from Copper Mountain) or Hwy. 24 (from Vail), Leadville is within an easy drive of many of Colorado’s ski resorts.
This rural hospital boasts competitive pay and benefits. A highly trained medical staff delivering medical services in the following areas: 24/7 Emergency Department and Ambulance, Acute Care, Primary Care Clinic, Laboratory, Radiology, Physical Therapy and visiting specialist clinics.
Learn more about St. Vincent Hospital at www.leadvillehospital.org.
To apply for this position please submit a letter of interest, resume, and at least 3 current professional references. Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com