Laboratory Manager - St. Vincent Hospital, Leadville, CO
This position is located at St. Vincent Hospital in Leadville, Colorado.
This job description does not intend to list every function of the position. The position is responsible for supervision of staff performing laboratory tests assuring precise and accurate patient results while maintaining essential QA/QC and regulatory requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lab Specific
- Plans, supervises and coordinates technical and administrative laboratory services including staffing, strategic planning, evaluations, budgets and capital equipment expenditures.
- Primarily responsible for policies and procedures, scheduling, payroll, disciplinary action and departmental relations.
- Attends and contributes to various committees including Med Staff, Infection Control, Safety and Forms.
- Performs, evaluates, and reports laboratory procedures to provide precise and accurate patient results.
- Performs tests only on specimens that are properly collected and properly labeled as observed by supervisor.
- Performs and reports test results within the specified time frame with no more than five valid infractions of time limit per year.
- Calls critical values to physician with no more than three time-related infractions per year.
- Performs quality control to ensure accuracy of test system as outlined in procedure manuals and takes appropriate action to correct defects in system before reporting patient results.
- Performs instrument maintenance as outlined in operations manual.
- Responds to after hours call backs as quickly as possible and does not exceed the 30 minute maximum without prior approval with no more than one written notice of complaint in a one year period.
- Performs venipunctures correctly and efficiently with no more than one repeat due to technologist error per month, as document by supervisor.
- Organizes workload for efficient and rapid reporting of results.
- Maintains and controls blood bank operation.
- Ensures safety by keeping work area neat and clean.
- Assumes responsibility for protection of self and others from health hazards by following procedures outlined in safety manual.
- Reviews safety manual annually and attends annual fire and safety training.
- Responds appropriately to all fire drills and has familiarized self with use and location of fire extinguishers.
- Assists in the training of new technologists and orientation of employees from other departments.
- Explains procedures and works alongside new employees until their performance is acceptable and documented as observed by supervisor.
- Serves as back-up for new techs until the new tech is capable of working independently.
- Assumes responsibility for personal professional growth and development.
- Attends an appropriate number of continuing education courses annually to fulfill professional recertification requirements.
- Shares knowledge with other employees and community by giving in-services to the nursing staff, teaching EMT trainees, working on Infection Control Committee or other similar areas in which a particular interest is demonstrated.
- Demonstrates initiative by seeking additional tasks or projects to aid the supervisor and department.
- Acquires knowledge of and supports hospital and departmental policies by attending in-services and intradepartmental meetings as evidences by attendance sheet.
- Receives and makes contact with other hospital departments, patients, families of patients and outside related facilities.
- Assists pertinent individuals as needed with no more than two documented complaints annually concerning quality of personal contact and patient comfort.
- Answers telephone in a prompt and courteous manner with no more than one complaint annually.
- Maintains confidentiality in all patient matters with no infractions.
- Assumes Lead Technologist duties including staffing assignments, vendor contacts, QA/QC coordination, authoring policy and procedures, supervision of COLA accreditation compliance and others.
- Maintains confidentiality in all medical records matters.
- Promotes good relationships with other hospital departments in order to achieve optimal working conditions. Demonstrates flexibility and willingly accepts responsibility, notifying supervisor when additional work can be assumed.
- Receives, evaluates and discusses suggestions and constructive criticism in a professional manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
On-going by Department Director.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- English, Medical Terminology
- Scientific Math
- Problem solving, Multitasking, Prioritization, Scientific Theory
Required Certificates, License, Registrations
- MT ASCP, AMT, HEW
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Must be mobile and able to lift 75 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This position interacts with Emergency Department, Med Surg, Clinics, Nursing, Radiology, Pharmacy and all other hospital departments.
- Work environment is consistent with Hospital Laboratories. Employee will be encountering technical analytical equipment, computers, microscopes, chemicals, blood, urine and other tissues.
Pay: $35 to $42/hour
Hourly rate dependent on education and experience. Competitive pay and great benefits package!
Job Status: Full Time