Part-Time Phlebotomist/Laboratory Assistant
Want to take your career to new heights? Join the team at St. Vincent Hospital in charming Leadville, Colorado!
St. Vincent Hospital is looking for an outgoing, positive, and friendly part-time (24-32 hours/week) Laboratory Assistant to join our Laboratory department.
General Description -
This job description does not intend to list every function of the position. The position is responsible for collection and processing of patient samples including venipuncture, skin puncture, and drug screens; billing; filing; telephone calls; and other clerical duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs venipunctures, skin punctures, and drug screen collections correctly (see Department of Transportation guidelines and the respective CFR) and efficiently to ensure patient safety and accurate results.
- Organizes workload for efficient and rapid reporting of results by prioritizing specimens based on ordering priority (STAT, etc.)
- Monitors expiration dates and supply levels of venipuncture supplies.
- Ensure safety by keeping work area neat and clean, assuming personal responsibility for the use of proper personal protection equipment and environmental controls as outlined in the safety manual. Reviews safety manual. Responds appropriately to all safety drills.
- Assumes personal responsibility for personal professional development and growth by acquiring continuing education units (CEUs) in accordance with professional recertification requirements.
- Receives and makes contact with other hospital departments, doctor’s offices, outside laboratories, and patients while maintain HIPAA standards.
- Performs necessary clerical duties such as filing, copying, billing, and faxing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Our Lab Assistant can be authorized and trained to perform “waived testing” as desired by the member to contribute to the workflow.
- Maintains confidentiality in all matters.
- Promotes good relationships with other hospital departments in order to achieve optimal working conditions. Demonstrates flexibility and willingly accepts responsibility.
- Receives, evaluates and discusses suggestions and constructive criticism in a professional manner.
On-going by the Director, Laboratory Services, the General Supervisor or the Senior Technologist.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Language Skills -
- Medical Terminology
Mathematical Skills -
- Basic Math
Reasoning Ability -
- Problem solving
Required Certificates, License, Registrations
- High school graduate or equivalent
Physical Demands -
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Must be mobile and able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to bend and kneel as necessary to perform phlebotomy related tasks.
Work Environment -
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Work environment is consistent with hospital laboratories. Employee will encounter blood, urine, and other bodily fluids which may be infectious.
Want to join our compassionate, caring team? Send resume and cover letter today!